Apr 24, 2011

The how to NO-KNIT knitted cowl...

This is a super easy, super quick transformation tutorial...




As I mentioned in my last post it's been getting colder down south here in Australia so I've been rugging up and trying to keep warm. I keep seeing on Etsy and many other sites some gorgeous knitted cowls - I think they are fabulous and it got me thinking about making some for myself... only thing is, I'll admit I can knit but there is no speed nor uniformed tension involved, together with high likelihood of dropped stitches... so no wonderfully gorgeous cowl was going to fall from the ends of my knitting needles... hmmm, what's a girl to do... well - I'll stick to what I love, REFASHIONING!


My lovely S.I.L gave me a couple of jumpers she no longer wanted but they were much smaller than I'll ever be...

 So, I decided to turn them into these:









And here's how you can do the same with an old, ill fitting or thrift shop jumper... this project cost me absolutely nothing - pretty much a freebie 'cept for the usual things I already had like thread for my machine... WOO HOO!!! Plus, the whole refashion can pretty much be done within 30 - 40 minutes - PERFECT ☺















Woo Hoo... do a little dance it's pretty much done - I whipped up two but then decided to 'pretty' them up a bit with a flower brooch...


TO MAKE FLOWER:


















 And there you have it... the NO-KNIT knitted cowl... I love them and you can bet I now will be keeping an eye out in the thrift stores for some brilliantly coloured knits to cut up and refashion... I want a whole rainbow selection of these lovely cowls. (I simply attached the flowers to felt circles and a couple of brooch pins- that way they can be worn with or without the flower and also makes for easier laundering)






As an extra bonus, the two original jumpers have rolled necks and are the perfect size for turning into Jnr. cowls... for my little lovelies, Big Little & Little Little Miss M... will post some photo's of the kiddie versions soon...


I'd love to know what you think of this refashion... one of my first that's actually for grown ups (yep that's me... lol)... Leave a comment, become a follower, check out some of my other posts - I'd love the company!


Cheers

I'll be linking up to the fabulous parties at these blogs:
Pinkapotamus
The Girl Creative
Making the World Cuter
Sumo Sweet Stuff
Nifty Thrifty Things
Craft o Maniac
Skip to My Lou
Between Naps on the Porch
C.R.A.F.T.
Keeping it Simple

I Heart Naptime

Tatertots and Jello
Sassy Sites
Ladybug Blessings
Sugar Bee Crafts
Todays Creative Blog
Sew Chatty
The Creative Itch
Funky Polka Dot Giraffe
Fabric Bows and More
My Girlish Whims
Simply Designing
Its a HodgePodge Life

19 comments:

  1. wow a great idea!
    I may have to stop by a GW or thrift store to get some old sweaters. i love the flowers on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are gorgeous....I'm loving the flowers. I think this is a refashion that I can do :)
    Thanks as always for the inspiration.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your creativity always wondering what you are going to come up with next!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is cool and looks easy enough to do, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute and creative! Thanks for sharing!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these! I have about 10 felted wool sweaters in my possession from which I have made many flower brooches. Yours is a great project I will give a try. Thankfully here in Madison Wisconsin, we are just beginning to have warmer temps and Spring like weather, so I have time to get a cowl or two made before next fall!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea. I live in the AZ desert, so I don't have a lot of sweaters, but I'm sure I could thrift some. I love scarves & this is just a different texture scarf. It also wouldn't be as heavy as wearing a full-blown sweater. Yay, I'm excited. I'm a new follower.
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it, this will be perfect for next winter, as it is finally getting warm again in Michigan. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Smart and innovative. The "cheat's" knitting. Great idea, but I quess I'll still knit mine.
    Hope you had a great Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is so cute! and great for me, cause I don't know how to knit!!

    I'd love for you to link this up to my link party, Your Girlish Whims! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/04/your-whims-wednesday-4-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very Cute! come and join our party: http://fabricbowsandmore.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!!! This is soooooooo cute!!!!!!

    Thanks for linking up!

    Ashley
    www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are awesome! Love that you didn't really have to do much sewing, knitting or crocheting! You are brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a cute idea!!
    Thank you so much again for stopping by and linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    I hope to see you again tomorrow!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful! I'm not good at knitting so I think this is the right project for me!
    I will follow you!
    Happy New Year from beautiful Italy,
    ClaraBelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so clever and I love this idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We offer a tailored solution to today's garment manufacturing. Being a family-run business,we take care of every aspect of garment production and sales.Each garment is designed to be long-lasting, durable and competitively priced for wholesale and retail environments baby girls knitted dress and much more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The blogs you produce incurs the much to my knowledge. The skills that are established strongly on the knowledge are very much indemand. I would like to add that your writings adds knowledge to my skills.
    womens clothes wholesale

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment... I just love reader feedback - and I also love replying via email...but you need to have a visible email in your account settings for me to do this, otherwise just know that I do read your comments and do appreciate them... Be sure to drop by again soon - I love the company ☺

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...